Thursday, January 10, 2008

Owwwww and *sniff sniff*

Well, my tooth extraction today turned out to be a "two for one" -- in that I got to skip 3 months of between time waiting 'cuz I got the post in the same day the tooth came out... er... disintegrated.

I still have 3 months for the implant to heal before getting the crown to cover the gaping hole... but it doesn't look any worse than it did before, which is good.

So that was the owwww. And yes, I've taken a percocet.

In other news that hurts, my great-uncle passed away yesterday. My late nana's brother, he was 89, and it is a miracle he lived as long as he did. He was affectionately known as SOB (Sweet Ol' Bob) and he will be missed. A large gaping hole will be in our family where he once stood as patriarch. He organized family reunions that kept the family together and are significant in my older-childhood memories, and his daughter is one of my favorite cousins. I cried buckets last night at work when I got the email that the doctor had said it was not good, and it turns out he passed away at 6:45 pm last night, right when I was in the flurry of tears.

Himself and I have the leather chair that was his a long time ago, and
it is kinda cool to have something of his in our house. He had a big booming voice, even when his health had declined so tremendously, and would call me "Carrie-Me-Back" (to old Virginie, I believe is the song...). He was punctual, a staunch Republican, traveled extensively with his wife and sometimes with his family; he was loyal, demanding and a force to be reckoned with. He was a pilot during WWII, and he and his wife dated two weeks before getting married back in 1945. He grew up poor, son of an Oklahoma sharecropper, and has written quite a bit about life with his 6 brothers and sisters during the depression - think "Grapes of Wrath."

I just accidentally deleted a memory of a long time ago... perhaps I'll write it again later.

A good man has passed away...

I've talked to me dad a couple times -- finally told him the 'drama that is my life' story, talked to my sister, and have talked to mom about driving out to N. California for the funeral.

There is so much going on at work right now though -- crucial things that need to happen that I'm in the center of or co-ordinating that I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to go. It will depend on how much I can get done tomorrow and Saturday afternoon after the TGC Auditions.

Not going to the memorial makes me feel ill.

A part of me knows it will be the last time I see branches and leaves of this part of my family tree... sad doesn't really adequately describe how that feels.

This is me and SOB in April 2005 ~ at he and CJ's 60th wedding anniversary. That wasn't the last time I saw him, but that was a great night of memories with the family.


Kellie said...

So Sorry to hear of your uncle's passing.

And within the same 24 hours of getting a tooth pulled....adds insult to injury huh?

Be sure to take care of you. A pulled tooth is definetly worth taking it easy for a day or so!

Kat said...

Oh hun, sending biiiiig (((HUGS))) over the pond! So sorry to hear about you loosing your uncle!!

As for the teeth - sounds very painful! One is enough for me and even between my 2 wisdom teeth they left about 3 months to heal!!!

Take it easy!!

Thinking of you - hope we'll be able to come over to visit you some point soon!

Ann(ie) said...

OH honey, I'm so very sorry. I'm glad you have the chair to remember him by. He looks in his picture like he was incredibly kind ~ sounds like his nickname SOB fit him well. xo.