Sunday, August 03, 2008

Edinburgh Fringe

It's that time again... when a city of 600,000 swells to over a million people between the participants and the audience members of the largest annual arts show... from two-seater performance venue (two actors in the front, two audience members in the back of a VW Bug was one such venue one year) to major stage productions - the Edinburgh Festival boasts a traditional Theatre Festival, A Jazz Festival, A Book Festival and a Film Festival -- all going on at once in one of the most historical and beautiful cities (IMNSHO) in the world.

As a student at Pepperdine, I was lucky enough to participate in the Fringe! We put on an adaptation of a medival morality play, "Everyman" (Brian Bremer was the star, and he's still acting today -- I just looked him up on imdb.com!), adaptation and music by Charles somebody-whose-name-I've-been-trying-to-remember...

[Brian and I took tennis together as one of my final classes... he'd bring diet coke & Milky Way Dark for breakfast and share it with me -- it was an 8am class, which required physical movement and being you know, halfway awake... and if you know anything about theatre people it is we are NOT morning people.... so--- we'd bat the ball for 5 minutes, have a Milky Way break... drink some diet coke... bat the ball around a few more minutes, then sit and talk about nothing -- that is, when he was there ;-) ]


I didn't take full advantage of the festival when I lived so close (smacks self in head), because it cost money -- but even to just go in and not pay for any show was always a fabulous people-watching experience!!

I tried to post a photo -- but my pc is so ready to crash... and the photo was taking forever to load -- so maybe another Edinburgh Fringe Anniversary.

Ohhhh -- and one time I sang a bit of opera ~ "O Mio Babbino Caro" for Eddy Izzard & friends outside in front of a ton of fringe-goers. Quite fun :D

- - -
and yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of the scaredest I've ever been.

3 comments:

Ann(ie) said...

wow. What's the scaredest you've ever been girlie? That might deserve it's own post!!!!

Baroness Insomniac said...

LOL I LOVE that story of you singing the bit of opera to Eddy Izzard. It had me in stitches! =))

What is the scardest you've ever been?

XXX

C D said...

There's a tag that says 'truly scared' where I blogged the experience...